Wednesday, December 15, 2010

White Shadow Interview (Rago Magazine) (2010)




Super Producer White Shadow passed thru with this exclusive interview…

Where are you from and what’s the Hip-Hop scene like there?

I'm from a small town in Norway called Geilo. Ski resort town way up in the mountains with a population of about 5000, so there isn't much of a Hiphop scene, but there are some people into it, and I'd say there's like maybe about 5 producers, and DJ's from here that are doin' well also internationally.

How did you get into music and is there anybody or anything you credit as an influence?

My dad was a musician so he got me into it. Music was always around so I been into it since I could walk or before that. I have about a billion and one influences. From James Brown, and Funkadelic to Kiss, and Motorhead, Grandmaster Flash, Marley Marl, 45 King. It goes on and on.

As a producer you’ve worked with quite a few artists, but for those that don’t know tell us who you worked with?

Easy Mo Bee, The Arsonists, Maylay Sparks, Supastition, AOTP, Joell Ortiz, Tash (Alkaholiks), Craig G, Kool G Rap, KRS-One, Malik B from The Roots, The Snowgoons, and many more. Check out my Myspace for a full list: http://www.myspace.com/whiteshadowofnorway

Out of all the artists that you have worked with what was the most memorable experience and why?

DJ Premier when Gangstarr made A Daily Operation. I didn't work with them, but got to hang out in the studio when they made it which was crazy. Easy Mo Bee for 3 weeks at a studio in London was a great experience. I think Easy might be the best Hiphop producer of all time. People have only heard like 5% of what he's capable of. Most of the time I've worked with artists via the Internet, so it's all sending music back and forth, but I'll say the most fun online was the process of making Mark Deez' album "The Oracle". Creativity, and fun at it's best!

So what you released to date and what releases have your beats been on?

I've been on about 70 records now I think. My full discography is here:
http://uncutproductions.blogspot.com/search/label/Discography . The highlights of my career is my producer album quadrilogy: Renegades, Untouchable, Victory, and Destiny. You can get em all here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/the-white-shadow/id275601519?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

When did you actually start making beats?

1988, but I messed around with drum machines and stuff before that from like 84-85. I'd say I started gettin' good at it around 96.

How long did it take you to get moving and what was your first release?

My first was "Hangin' Tree" by Jamalski on Sony/Ruffhouse in the US, dropped in 93, but it took me until about 2000 to really get it movin'. D-stroy's "Roll Out", Maylay Sparks' "Leisure", and my own EP "Back To The True School" set it off for real.

What’s your studio set up like?

A computer with tons of software, sounds, and samples, SP-1200 sampler, Technics turntables with Serato, a TV for monitors, I've never liked using actual monitors cause they sound too different from other speakers so it might sound great in the studio, but not on other systems which is why I don't like em...right or wrong that's how I do it, big speakers, and that's about it, and oh yeah, several rooms full of records.

What’s your favourite bit of kit in the studio?

The SP-1200. I hardly use it anymore now though, but it's my girl, and she's a classic, so she'll always be my favorite.

Do you have any studio tips for any producers coming into the game?

Not really any one in particular except becoming good at this isn't done over night. It takes years, so you'll need a love for music, and sound way beyond normal, and if that love is genuine all the work will be a fun ride anyway. You can teach people the tech shit, but you can't give em a good ear or a style, and so I think it's best for people to learn everything on their own. At the end of the tunnel you either got it or you don't..talent that is.

When you set out to make a track do you have a certain formula that you work too?

Not really. I mix it up, but I usually start with the drums.

So is there anything you are working on or promoting at the moment?

Yeah, I just dropped my new album called "Destiny", and am busy promoting that. It's my fourth, and final producer album featuring various artists, and you can get it at ITunes.

Forget budgets and the politics, if you could work with any Hip-Hop artist who would it be and why?

I've done either original tracks, or remixes with most of my favorite artists in Hiphop so I don't know. If I'm to pick one it would probably be Jay-Z because he's one of the few artists who are doin' it big in the mainstream, but still keepin' it Hiphop on a good day, and it would be huge if you think business, but as far as raw skills it'd have to be Chino XL.

Okay forget about Hip-Hop for a minute, is there anybody outside of our genre you would like to work with and why?

I'd like to gather all the alive original members of Parliament, Funkadelic, and all their offshoots, and make an album that would sound exactly like what they did in the early 80's. Just some outta this world space Funk with a lot of vocoders, synths, handclaps, and party vibes, you know, bringin' back the F.U.N.K. like it was back then. That would be the ultimate.

Do you have a My Space page?

http://www.myspace.com/whiteshadowofnorway

People are jumping from My Space to Facebook and Twitter. It seems there are loads of these type of websites popping up. What’s your whole take on the Internet and these social networking websites?

I love the internet. I wouldn't have been anywhere near where I'm at right now if it hadn't been for the net. I'm also not a very social person. I like to be alone at my house creating music, and so the net is perfect for me. The double edge sword however is that you don't get to know the artists as well as when you're actually hangin' out in the studio, but on the good side, you get more work done, and better music created because everyone is focused on what they're supposed to be doing which is makin' music, and finally the emcee's rhyme, the producers produce, and not vice versa. The worst side is that bootleggin' has killed off the physical music stores, and continue to make it hard for artists to survive, but it's also good promo, and gets your music out to more people, so that's another double edged sword right there. Never liked Twitter, it's a blue bird for christs sake, the ultimate faggotry? (laughs), but I see the mission though. Good for gettin' at people. Myspace has died off a little but don't underestimate it. Some of my best deals have still been because of Myspace. Facebook is the best though. It's got everything you need, and a little more. Facebook, you may Paypal me now (laughs). Good talkin' to you, and thanks for the interview. I appreciate it! Peace.

Interview by Brendan Deane

http://www.ragomagazine.com/interviews/white-shadow-from-normway.html

No comments:

Post a Comment